Did you know that during the month of October, the levels of stress and anxiety in our body increase considerably? We return from our holidays full of energy and eager to face new challenges… But it only takes a few weeks to forget about that ‘zen’ mental state that dominated us at the beginning of September. To feel this decrease in mood is normal; therefore, there are more and more who, at this time of year, decide to start practicing yoga in Tenerife. A discipline with incredible benefits in body and mind. Do you dare to discover it? Below, we tell you everything you need to know about yoga initiation.
Although neophytes usually associate yoga with such a set of characteristic postures. The truth is that it is a millenary practicethat goes beyond the physical. Yoga refers to a state of mind that leads us to a better knowledge of ourselves, an opening of horizons and -of course- a state of relaxation.
In its origins, especially in India, yoga has always had a strong spiritual and religious component: the word comes from the Sanskrit ‘yuj‘, which means ‘union’ and refers to the link between the individual and divinity. However, in the West, initiation to yoga has become a discipline-centered above all on the balance between body, mind, and spirit.
Benefits of Yoga
If you have doubts about whether to sign up for beginner yoga classes, you should know – first of all – that yoga is a state of mind. Yoga exercises for beginners work on concentration on posture and breathing as a method of focusing on the ‘here and now’… What for? To disconnect us from daily worries and calm the mind.
Therefore, if you ask yourself what yoga is for, there is no doubt that one of its main benefits is that it reduces nervous disorders such as stress, anxiety, and insomnia. However, also on the physical plane, the benefits of yoga are enormous:
- Yoga prevents overweight.
- It tones the musculature.
- It improves the health of our joints.
- Relieves pain and inflammation.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Reduces arterial hypertension and cholesterol.
- Promotes good posture and improves back problems.
- Activates the metabolism.
- Improves breathing.
- Gives us balance, strength and flexibility.
The benefits are endless!
Types of yoga initiation
Another thing you should know about yoga initiation is that your age, level, fitness level, etc. don’t matter. Yoga is for everyone! In a yoga class for beginners you are going to work on physical abilities such as strength, balance, and flexibility, but always adapted to the level of each one and with the possibility of modifying the posture or using accessories to help in cases where it is needed.
However, what you will have to take into account is the main objective that has led you to this practice: do you want to alleviate your back discomfort? exercise? relax? control stress?…. The answer to this question is important, as there are countless variants and types of yoga in Tenerife that focus on specific aspects.
Without a doubt, hatha yoga is the most popular type of yoga, the one practiced the most in the West and the one most recommended for initiation to yoga; however, it is possible that you may be interested in trying with currents more oriented towards spirituality and meditation, as is the case with kundalini yoga. You may also want to opt for other more intense and physical, such as ashtanga yoga, others more intended to correct posture, as is the case of yoga Iyengar, or even the most daring and original, such as acro yoga (practiced suspended in the air) or Bikram yoga (performed in a room about 40 degrees). Bearing in mind that – at present – it is easy to find around 30 different types of yoga that are frequently practiced in centers and schools such as Activate Sports Club Tenerife… there’s sure to be one that suits your needs!
Tips for the practice of yoga in Tenerife
- Equipment: one of the advantages of yoga is that you don’t need a lot of material to get started. Barefoot, with comfortable clothes that give you freedom of movement and a mat… then you’re ready to start!
- Teacher: although -with time- you can acquire enough learning to practice yoga at home. In the initiation to yoga it is essential to have a good teacher, like the ones you will find in Activate Sports Club Tenerife. To guide you through the whole process, advise you on what is best for you, correct incorrect habits and postures… you will see that with time you will become an essential figure!
- Patience: don’t want to go fast. Remember that the practice of yoga is similar to a long-distance race (more than 100m smooth), so you have to be patient, go step by step and be consistent. It’s about enjoying the road!
- Breathing: one of the most important (and at the same time the most complicated) aspects of yoga practice is to disconnect the mind and focus only on what we are doing at that moment. To make it easier, focus your attention on breathing, which will allow you to concentrate and think only about the development of postures.
In Baobab Suites we want to do our best for your wellbeing and physical and mental balance; therefore, both in our hotel and in our sports centre Activate Sports Club Tenerife, you will find private and group yoga classes for all tastes: Hatha, Flow, PowerCross, Air…
It’s time to say goodbye to stress and adopt a new lifestyle. It’s time for yoga initiation!