Tenerife has great surfing conditions. If you’re planning a fun holiday you might want to add to your surfing plans in Tenerife.
Surfing is a water sport that you can practice during your holidays in Tenerife 365 days a year. We do not exaggerate, in the coast that borders the Island always you can find a beach that allows you to practice surf in Tenerife. In addition, depending on your skills and the number of times you have practiced this sport, you can also visit some beaches or others, where it is easier or more complicated to navigate the crest of the wave. Today we discover all the secrets to surf in Tenerife!
We understand that a surfboard is not a sports equipment easy to transport from home. So if you need help getting the right equipment for surfing in Tenerife to suit your measurements and characteristics, don’t hesitate to contact our Experience Centre and our team will get to work for you to enjoy an exciting day at sea. Now that you have it all, how about we go over some basic concepts and the best beaches for surfing in Tenerife?
Tenerife Surf School
Perhaps this is the first time you have decided to surf in Tenerife. So if you need some beginner’s classes at a surf school in Tenerife, our team can help you find the right one for you and with the travel to it. We also bring you some useful tips to get you started in this sport:
- You must know the surfing materials you are going to use and how to use them. That is to say, to distinguish the parts of the board and which is its utility inside the water. It is important that you practice a few times the action of getting up on the board in the sand, so you will gradually mechanize the movement and when you are in the water will be easier to stand up.
- Getting in and out of the water is a way to practice rowing to catch the waves. Practice this exercise to get loose and know how to approach a particular breaker.
- A basic maneuver, known as “duck”, is the way to pass the foam and waves sinking the peak of the board. It’s infinitely easier than trying to get over it.
- Practice (on land and in the water) the basic maneuvers to maintain the balance on the surfboard.
Surf beaches in Tenerife
As we mentioned, Tenerife is a great place to surf. There are different surfing beaches in Tenerife that we recommend you to visit. The best time to surf is from November to February, although in summer we encourage you to visit the beaches in the north of the island and, in winter, those in the south.
- Playa de las Palmeras: This beach is ideal for beginners in surfing in Tenerife. It is situated in the Americas, next to the Avenida Marítima. It has showers, parking, restaurant, lifeguards and toilets. Undoubtedly, one of the best beaches for surfing in Tenerife Sur.
- El Médano: This town is the best place in Tenerife for kitesurfing and windsurfing, thanks to its constant wind. However, within this village in the south of Tenerife, you will find different beaches, some of them are great for surfing in Tenerife.
- El Porís: Also in the south of Tenerife, although at a medium distance from our hotel. This is a beautiful beach next to an emblematic lighthouse where you can practice surfing whether you are just getting started or if you are already beginning to have some experience.
- El Socorro: This beach is located in a town in Tenerife North called Los Realejos. It is a very extensive blue flag beach. It also has showers, parking, restaurant, lifeguards and toilets. In addition, it is a habitual scene of competitions of bodyboard and surf in Tenerife.
We hope we have aroused your curiosity about surfing in Tenerife and, once again, we would like to remind you that you can count on the Baobab Suites team to create a tailor-made holiday. Our only rule is that you make the rules.